undergraduate | requirements
Departmental Requirements for the Major
- Art 1A-B-C (taken the first year in residence);
- Art 9A and 11A;
- one course from Art History 40A, 40B, 40C, 42A, 42B, 42C or 42D;
- four lower-division courses selected from Art 20-99; and
- six upper-division courses from:
Art 100-115 (no more than three courses in this category); and
Art 130-195 (minimum of three courses in this category)
- two issues courses chosen from Art 116-129 or any Art 100 with "Issues" in its title.
Departmental Requirements for Honors in Art
The Honors in Art program gives qualifying students a more rigorous course of study in contemporary art practices, thus challenging superior students beyond the scholarly requirements demanded of the Art major. This program is designed to further develop students' critical, analytical, research, and technical skills. It is particularly suited to those wishing to go on to graduate school and/or exhibition careers.
Eligibility Requirements for Honors in Art
- one year in good standing as a Art major;completion of Art 1A, 1B, 1C; four lower-division courses from Art 20-99;
- one Art History course from either the Art History 40 or 42 series;
- an overall GPA of 3.2 or higher with a GPA of at least 3.4 in Art courses; and
- must be a Junior (or a Senior intending to stay one more year) at time of application.
Application Requirements & Procedure for Honors in Art
All applicants to the Honors Program must email the following to email@example.com.
- A portfolio of up to 10 images and/or other media samples. Images/media samples must include title of the work, size, year, medium, description, and duration of the work, if time-based.
- A brief statement (250 words maximum) of research and career goals; and
- UCI transcripts (downloadable from StudentAccess).
The applicant’s name, UCI student ID number, and e-mail address must be printed legibly on all submitted materials.
All applicants will be notified of their application status no later than the end of spring quarter finals week.
Students accepted to the program will share the Catherine Lord Undergraduate Honors Studio for the entire academic year. Students accepted to the program must actively participate in programmatic activities. Students must follow the Department's studio occupancy guidelines in order to maintain their studios. GPAs will be reviewed each quarter to ensure programmatic requirements.
Beyond fulfilling regular courses for the Art major, honors students must complete the following:
- two additional courses selected from Art 100-191, and Art 199;
- one Art History course of the student's choosing; and
- Art 198 Honors Exhibition (this course will prepare students for a mandatory, group interdisciplinary honors gallery exhibition to take place during either winter or spring quarter of the student's matriculating year, at which time students will defend their thesis work to faculty on the Undergraduate Committee.
Non-compliance with any of the requirements will result in dismissal from the program.