Global Scholars + DigiFilm International Doc Projects
DUE TO COVID-19, THIS PROGRAM IS ON HIATUS UNTIL SUMMER 2021
Digital Filmmaking is pleased to announce we are continuing to partner with the Blum Center for the Poverty Alleviation and the School of Social Ecology. We will be selecting three DigiFilm student documentary filmmakers to join the Global Scholars Program to travel abroad for 4 weeks to document the activities of the Global Scholars Program. The GSP offers undergraduates the opportunity to study compassion and participate in service abroad. Once selected, students complete specially designed coursework before participating in immersive service experiences.
If selected as a DigiFilm Documentary Filmmaker, you will travel abroad for a four-week international service learning experience during Summer 2020. Funding provided for program fees, transportation, and housing. Immunizations are not covered.
A brief outline of the project:
- Operate solo as a documentary filmmaker
- Conduct interviews, capture b-roll, and document students interacting with the local community
- During travel, post small pieces of assembled footage for social media
- Before returning, present an early or rough cut of footage for the local community
- Work in the field with a Canon C-100 a micro film package with a lens, microphones, batteries, laptop and multiple hard drives
- Maintain daily backups, following data safety protocols like storing hard drives in separate places
- Maintain and track all gear, working to avoid loss
- Take the required GSS course
- Following advice from a doctor, begin a regular work-out routine to build upper body strength to be able to sustain shooting everyday and improve overall stamina. Depending on locale, you must be able to handle high altitude.
- Participate in mentoring sessions with documentary filmmakers
- Fall 2020, enroll in Art 199 Independent Study with a Digital Filmmaking Faculty Member
- complete a documentary film drawn from the 4 weeks of filming
- Present working cuts for regular review by DigiFilm and Blum Center faculty and staff
- Submit the film for possible inclusion in the UCI Showcase at the Newport Beach Film Festival, Spring 2021
- Submit the film for inclusion in the UCI DigiFilm Festival, Spring 21
Required Courses to be completed before travel:
- 81A Production I
- 81B Production II
- 108 Documentary
We encourage you to review the Global Service Scholars website for more information about the program.
Seniors graduating Spring or Summer 2020 are not eligible for this program.